Re: Sharpie
In reply to Mako2011, 9 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

FujicaST605 wrote:

mosswings wrote:

draacor wrote:

blurredvision wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

The "1.3x" refers to a linear crop factor. A better way to look at it in my view is the reciprocal: only 1/1.25 or 80% of the pixels (linearly) are retained. The raw file is 4800 x 3200 pixels rather than 6000 x 4000.

To further dumb down what Jim has written, I'll add this much. By default, the D7100 is 24MP. Kick on 1.3x crop mode and your pictures go down to around 15.3MP. This helps get more pictures in the buffer due to the smaller file size, only helpful if you do continuous shooting. Other than that, there's no advantage to it.

IMO, I think Nikon knew the buffer was lacking and threw in this Band-Aid as a "feature".

I disagree with this. Another useful thing is for wildlife photography. Instead of buying a longer zoom lens you can turn on the crop to get a little closer in. Sure you can do this in post but it makes framing easier when you do it out in the field.

It also offers some benefits in that the AF field now covers a much greater area of the frame - but the actual image in the viewfinder doesn't change in size, you have to use the crop framing marks to compose. Win some, lose some.

With the viewfinder showing more than 100%, I find it an advantage as you can see what is about to come into frame. Reminds me of shooting with a rangefinder.

But nothing really changes...you could get the same framing advantage by taking a Sharpie marker to the viewfinder of any DSLR. Only difference with the 1.3x crop mode is the marking can be turned off so easier to erase than a grid drawn with a Sharpie

D5200 1.3x Crop mode firmware update

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Seriously?

FujicaST605's gear list:FujicaST605's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OKNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow