Great lens for the money. Inconsistent AF is why I sold it.

Started 6 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
Great lens for the money. Inconsistent AF is why I sold it.
6 months ago

Used this lens with a 5d3 and 70d (Canon mount).  Wide open it's dead sharp in the center; even sharper than a 24-105 Canon L lens I had @ F/4.  The borders and corners sharpen up really nicely @ F/4.  I found the VC works great for handheld video.  I used this lens from Jan 2013 until November 2013 and generally found the micro contrast and colors to be far off from my other Canon glass - I could have lived with that, but I just keep getting slightly out of focus shots.

I am pretty picky about micro AF adjustments and do it not only for 50x the focal length but try other distances, repeated tested with weighted averages, and feel I have a pretty good grasp on how to fine tune a lens.  Now that I have the Canon 24-70 II I can say that perhaps it was the slower focusing of the Tamron that caused me to miss more shots?  I'm not sure, but my copy was pretty good in the beginning but later needed like a -4 on the wide end and +10 on the tele side.

Can't complain about the 6 year warranty, but after reading so many stories of people getting lenses that were "bad copies" I just decided the heck with it.  But there's nothing else out there in a short zoom with IS.  I'm getting older now and like having the entire frame sharp @ F/2.8; the days of center sharp only lenses are hopefully behind me.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Shield3's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow