Why is the A7 selling cheaper than the A99 ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,522Gear list
Like?
Re: STOP PLEASE.. why this reaction in such fashion?
In reply to dlkeller, 6 months ago

dlkeller wrote:

I have agreed and appreciated you past comments KE, but beg to differ on this matter. You seem to have a lot of disposable income to spend on cameras considering what you have stated as to cameras you own. Many of us aren't as fortunate and are pretty much "stuck" or "captive". I've seriously considered jumping to Nikon and yesterday spent some time looking at the cost. The "refurbished" 7000 for $639 seemed a very good starting point, then I started looking at replacement for some of my old lenses, Minolta 50mm Macro, 50mm 1.7 and Beercan alone would be very expensive to replace, even on a trade in basis. In this sense I really am a "captive" to Sony's whims which I probably will stick with unless it become totally unbearable. NEX cameras with adaptors just don't seem like a vey good solution to me for many of the reasons you, yourself, pointed out so I'm in a holding pattern waiting for bodies I like, prices to drop, and Sony to demonstrate more commitment to the A mount than they have recently.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Fair point.. Most of my premium Sony Minolta lenses were bought when I had a better job 2009 killed that..  And I have cameras and too many telescopes.. We don't have vacations.. so I have chosen to spend where I can.. and I look for bargains..

My 70-300G was a Circuit City Close out for Half of retail..

My Minolta 100 Marco was an old new stock drop down.

My 450D for Astrophotography was a "use for parts" where I could tell it was the cheap kit lens. Which I resold for parts getting me a nice camera for 50% of retail.

but lets talk about you.

Ebay.. Used Nikon 50mm AF F1.8 $75

Used Sigma for Nikon AF Macro 50mm F2.8 $149..

BOTH pretty close to the used Minolta lens price

Lots of 70-300 options the beer can is a unique beast but most people do photograph with out one.

New SIGMA OS 70-300 APO which is nice lens for the money.. I have the SOny non OS version NEW $300  so $150 more than 20 year old Beercand used..

What Body are you selling?  To Move to Nikon.. are you buying the same age and class of Nkon or are you finding you can't UPGRADE from USED to NEW / New refurbished for the same cost.

If you want to move you choose to move used to used if you don't have disposable income to upgrade.  And if you have money for a CAPTIVE Sony upgrade you toss that into a pool to get a bit better then move forward.

In the end you are a captive of I want to CHANGE SYSTEMS AND DO AN UPGRADE AT THE SAME TIME..

EXAMPLE: A700 = D90 etc.. Not D7000 etc.

I contend its about choices.. do you chose Sony because you don't want to move laterally to Nikon or do you choose Nikon and make it work..

I would have lost a ton trying to move used Sony to New Canon or Nikon.. I probably could have done it used to used for almost the same.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow