Sigma 30mm F2.8 vs Sony 50mm F1.8

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kirk Nex 6
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: They complementary, not comparable. You need both, or at least need a wide walk-about
In reply to 007peter, 7 months ago

007peter wrote:

tsx2004 wrote:

I just got the sigma 30mm F2.8 lens. It's pretty sharp. Wondering if I should get the Sony SEL-50F18 as well. Price is about $300. Is the image quality that much better? Thanks in advance.

They're not even comparable at all. Have you ever used a 50mm on APS-C camera before? 50mm = 75mm on APS-C NEX:

• Indoor wise, 50mm only allow you to fit about 1-2 person Half-Body standing about 6 foot away.
  • 12 ~ 16 foot is required to fit Full Body, that is why
  • all the indoor photo from 50mm are usually Half-Body only portraits
  • Unless you live inside a museum, 50mm is very restrictive in actual usage
  • outdoor, 50mm f1.8 is perfect for snapping strangers
  • but even outdoor, 50mm is restrictive when it comes to landscape photo of building
  • if you want to take a vacation photo with lots of backgrounds, 50mm is too tight

That is why 50mm is most commonly used as a dedicated portrait prime. For a single-lens-walk-about, your better off with a wider Sigma 30mm = (45mm). It capture more scenery, and you can squeeze in more people and scenery into you photo.

That's why there not comparable. Buy the 50mm /1.8 first, then you will realized that you need something wider like a Sigma 30mm or the new Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS.

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

• Should I buy both Sigma 30mm f/2.8 + Sony 50mm f/1.8 OSS or
  • Should I buy ONE Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS

I'll be the first to admit I hate the ridiculous high $450 price tag for Sony 35mm f/1.8 OSS

but I'll also be the first to admit I WANT ONE, since 35mm f/1.8 OSS will do double duty of both Sigma 30mm /2.8 and 50mm f/1.8 roll-into-one.

I am new to comprehending prime lenses.  Can you explain why you believe a 35mm f1.8 will be able to do the same thing the 50mm 1.8 does?  thanks in advance....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow