Idiot question alert - 52 focus points

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Rservello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Idiot question alert - 52 focus points
In reply to olyflyer, 7 months ago

olyflyer wrote:

Modern tools are invented to be used, and by using modern tools one can learn even more, or one can just ignore most and concentrate on the composition and the art part of photography.

If you are on a job and being paid by someone to capture a moment or a product or whatever, I agree. Use the tools that get the job done as easily as possible. But there is so much more to the art of photography than just snapping a cool picture to show off on flickr. There is more to it than just getting the most "keepers".

A camera is a precise instrument. It is more than just a tool that facilitates the capturing of a moment. There is a catharsis to setting your camera up, shooting, and not having that little LCD for instant feedback. You just shoot. If it's not perfect...well sometimes that's better. Some of the best photographs were unintentional. Today, people (myself included sometimes) are so all about getting "that shot" that they forget that sometimes, accidental greatness occurs when you just look down the barrel and shoot. Forget about...was that composed perfectly...was it perfectly in focus...is the exposure just right. Just shoot. And try to get the best images you can, without having to rely on post process.

Also, as far as post process is concerned. I think everyone should have to spend a little time in a dark room before they pick up photoshop or aperture. The tension of rolling your own film into a chem canister and shaking it in the dark and praying something comes out the other end is pretty exhilarating. Shining an enlarger onto paper and then watching the photo magically appear in the fix bath...never gets old!!! And snipping up bits of previous prints into mattes and shaking your dodge and burn to have a perfect final exposure that ONLY exists in your hand...is pretty incredible.  I basically spent a year in the mid 90's in a small dark room and loved every minute of it.  If I wasn't printing, I was shooting.

I remember one customer tho, owned an F5 and would use it as a point and shoot for vacation photos.  The rich point and shooters have always existed.

Photography has become so very disposable lately.

Rservello's gear list:Rservello's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Apple Aperture +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow