Why is the A7 selling cheaper than the A99 ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,539Gear list
Like?
Re: STOP PLEASE.. why this reaction in such fashion?
In reply to Ralf B, 6 months ago

Ralf B wrote:

K E Hoffman wrote:

topcon2 wrote:

Call me a cynic, but IMO Sony's pricing strategies for these cameras have nothing to do with their respective capabilities, and everything to do with the Sony CEO's perception of a captive market for the A99 vs the conquest sales potential for the A7.

Captive?..SELL THE GEAR and GO BUY THE FREEKING SYSTEM OF YOUR DREAMS.

What if the summary of characteristics in the Sony A Mount represent that dream system, but there are some holes in the line-up that are worrysome in the context of the conscious buying decisions made so far by the respective consumer?

There is a difference between talking about what you would like.. I do that all the time.

And the victim language, where some "old men" here talk like women in an abusive relationship.

CAPTIVE set me off.. as it implies "Sony took this person's control"

I have had enough REAL life context for REAL PROBLEMS in the last 3 years that people who talk like their woes are Sony's fault get to me sometimes.. sorry it happens.

IF the system is the best one there.. but you want more you are not a captive or a victim... you are there by choice.. talk like it.

Not only here but to one management contact at Sony I have I have told them what my issues with the A77 are..  Noise, tethering, USB cable cover is too tight and will break, mode dial waited for marketing features like 3D pano vs user Mem direct access. etc.

But NO ONE FORCED ANYONE TO BUY A CAMERA OR EVEN KEEP THE SYSTEM THEY HAVE...people talk here sometimes like they are an oarsman on the Greek War Ship Sony..

Its not that I am Pro Sony.. I anti self-defeating whiners..

Concluding that a fellow forum member is such a whiner who has to grow up from the quoted lines above is a bit over the top, don't you think? I certainly do.

Ya.. it was a moment.. clearly over the top.. but there is a point to be made.  There are so many REAL parts of life where choice is restricted that matters to survival, illness.. job loss, loss in family. That there is NO CONTEXT for the level of victimization people over and over apply to Sony and a camera.

Like I said. if you don't LIKE it THAT MUCH.. change and leave us that do, to offer reasonable critique.. of which there is much for any system.  I read a Canon thread complaining Canon just kept released minor upgrades and SONY was doing all the innovation.. Really... I smiled..

Visit the definition of captive market here and reconsider your post in the context of the OP. The DSLR/SLT market is not even a captive market for sure for the woman who has to choose where to put her money (car or kid) as she will never be able to buy either the A7 or a99 raised as points in the OP. She is not in the target market as potential consumer.

With that out of the way, on topic: The choice that Sony now offers for the target market, current and potential A Mount full frame shooters has actually grown to three current options: a99, A7 + LA-EA3/4 or A7R + LA-EA3/4, with the two latter offering a wealth of choices in accessories and lenses from other systems. The question in the OP why the a99 body only price is still at a whooping 2800 US-$ is even more relevant with the Sony-in house competition now available.

BTW, in Europe, the a99 body only price is eroding fast to 2000 Euros, on the level of the a7 + LA-EA4 combo. I would consider that a sound market(ing) reaction in conquest sales potential territory.

Cheers,
Ralf

Cheers.. I will try to calm down someĀ 

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow