Contributing MemberPosts: 586Gear list
Like?
Re: Idiot question alert - 52 focus points
In reply to Rservello, 8 months ago

Rservello wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

SergioSpain wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

By going manual . . . if you don't nail it . . . the camera is not there to save you . . . the image doesn't turn out. It's kinda like getting your hands slapped! LOL. Hurts . . . but you might remember more from the failure than the camera saving you IMHO . . .

but if the image doesn't turn out, chances are the camera's meter would've warned you of this anyway. So to me, that's faulty reasoning. All getting a wrong shot will do is teach you to look at the exposure meter, so you're still relying on the camera to tell you the proper exposure. All you're doing is giving yourself more work. The exposure triangle doesn't magically change depending on whether you shoot in manual, aperture or shutter priority. If doing more work makes you feel like you have more control over the shot, then so be it. But the fact remains that you're using the camera's meter to guide you in your exposure.

Yes. But it is a way to learn it.

And knowing manual opens up what you can do with a camera.

Some situations you are better off in manual, like this severely back-lit situation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/7196369006/in/set-72157631300869284

Right at the end of the cheerleading routine . . . during their last cheer . . . bright, bright, bright flood lights started popping from behind the girls. If I didn't have the camera on manual exposure, the severe back-lighting would trick the camera into underexposing the shot. But since the flood lights on the girls is constant, I just set up exposure manually for that and it is locked in throughout the entire performance.

Also . . .

What setting do you put your camera on when triggering external flash units off that don't support iTTL? For that . . . you can't rely on the auto exposure metering . . . you have to set exposure manually.

-- hide signature --

I couldn't agree more. I rarely rely on my internal meter. Spot metering is too defined and matrix is too wide spread. My meter usually tells me I am massively over or under exposed. But my eye tells me different. Sometimes I'm dead wrong. A lot of times I'm spot on. It comes from experience not CPU control.

+1

I guess the other way to look at it is . . . if you always have your camera on P mode (and don't use exposure compensation), it's kinda like inviting the guy over that programmed the camera to always set-up your exposure for you. LOL.

Now . . . eventually you're going to tell that guy off and say . . . no! I want the shot lighter. (+ exposure compensation.) or . . . no! I want the shot darker. (- exposure compensation).

And then . . . eventually you'll get in a great big argument with the guy and say, forget it. Get out of here. I know what I want. Go away . . . manual exposure mode.

LOL

Looked at your Flickr btw...some really awesome shots on there! Many of which would have been flagged IMMEDIATELY by the internal meter as underexposed...but you nailed them.

Thanks! I greatly appreciate it!  

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Kodak DC4800 Fujifilm FinePix XP50 Pentax K100D Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow