Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?
Olympus and future of micro four thirds
10 months ago

I hope that this forum is the right place for this thread.

Mike Johnston at The Online Photographer reports that another site, one that reports on business, has predicted Olympus will go out of business in 2014. This "news" has made me sick to my stomach, because

• I just purchased an Olympus E-M1; and
  • I love it; and
  • I am actually in the process of getting rid of my full-frame Sony gear so I can switch to micro four thirds.

I'm skipping over a lot of my decision-making process here because it's not pertinent to my questions, which are:

1. Is Olympus really about to go out of business?
  2. What would happen to its m43 product line if it did?
  3. What's the future of micro four thirds?

I don't mean to ask about the really unforeseeable long term, that is, I'm not asking if Olympus will be around in 10 years. I'm just wondering if I've made a bad decision buying into a technology that is doomed (despite its strengths).

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow