Why is the A7 selling cheaper than the A99 ?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
kartikjayaraman
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?
Re: About comparisons
In reply to topstuff, 7 months ago

Ralf B wrote:

topstuff wrote:
one is a small, slow to use, purists cameras designed to handle manual third party lenses, great for studio and casual, wandering-around photography, while the other is a multi-function, multi-featured and multi role camera. You can't compare them. It is daft to try to.

I think you just compared them and came to your conclusions (" one is ... while the other is...") based on that comparison.

Cheers,
Ralf

I see what you mean, but that is not really the point.

Comparing the two cameras is only worth doing to a limited extent before it becomes quite obvious that the key consideration is NOT the  camera itself, but the purpose for which it is being purchased.

If I am traveling to India and want a FF camera and a couple of primes that will fit in a small bag, then the A7 is a dream come true,  The perfect camera.

But if I buy an A7 and then complain that the AF won't keep up with my kids running around, or be any good at shooting a local football match, then I am a fool.  I need an A99.

The problem with DPR debates is that they don't often enough consider what the camera is actually going to be used for.  It's measurement for measurement's sake.  And it's pretty pointless.

I am going to get an A7 when I am next in Hong Kong.  But the thing is, over the holidays I've been taking family snaps with an A58 and a cheap eBay Minolta lens.  It's a terrific little thing and costs buttons in comparison.  And, for most purposes, the IQ is perfectly excellent.  Excellent enough, in fact, to make one question the whole point of GAS to be honest.

Interestingly a lot of folks are complaining about the AF features of the A7. Is it reallythat bad? When I started using the A77 (A99 is the same) I was told the most accurate focus is to use center focus and recompose or crop for moving subjects.

I believe subject tracking is not there in the A7 but the A99 has focus points right in the center frame so not sure how helpful that is. When panning, continuous AF should work anyways right or is A7 bad at that?

kartikjayaraman's gear list:kartikjayaraman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow