school photos-shooting class and individual pics with active D lighting on new D800

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
drifterusa
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
school photos-shooting class and individual pics with active D lighting on new D800
3 months ago

Hello,

I have a small school photo business (one person as office manager and another photographer) and just upgraded from D300s to D800. I have been learning/relearning the camera all week but won't have a chance to get print tests before we shoot class photos next week.

I do all the editing/processing myself and it takes quite a while (1-3 hours a day during season; especially for class photos). I shoot JPEGS for file size and simplicity. I tether so I can see the results while we are shooting.

When shooting class pics with flash, i lighten up some of the darker skin tones in Photoshop because I lose shadow detail.

Looking at the D800 and reading about the active D lighting seemed iike it might help (especially for the group shots) in bringing up some shadow detail. Has anyone else used active D lighting for class photos? I was thinking of setting it to low or normal but wanted to hear any input from people that may use it (or not use it) for various reason.

I don't shoot RAW just for reference. I shoot JPEG through tether and then run the photos through Photoshop (CS6).

Thanks in advance!

Jesse

Nikon D300S Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow