Sigma 17-50 mm f2.8 EX HSM OS (Nikon mount) Focus Hunting: DIY Repair?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PauloP
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Sigma 17-50 mm f2.8 EX HSM OS (Nikon mount) Focus Hunting: DIY Repair?
6 months ago

Hi.

Almost 2 years ago I have purchased a Sigma 17-50 mm f2.8 OS to use with my Nikon D5000.

During the first year of its life this lens has performed amazingly well. I loved every aspect of it. Back at that time, I wondered why people would spend that much more for a Nikkor unit.

One year later I've found why.

After this one-year period of perfect marriage, the unit started to suffer from a terrible focus hunting, even in bright light.

I've cleaned its contacts, tested some other units, reset the camera and came to the conclusion that the Sigma was in fact defective.

I would send it to repair if possible, but I do not live in the US, and I've bought it there. My country also does not have official Sigma support, so I wonder if I can try to repair it myself. I have succeeded to disassemble it partially (perhaps 50% of it), but I've found nothing strange so far, at least when it comes to its connections.

I'm very disappointed with Sigma quality. I barely used this lens. Never took it to harsh enviroments. I really regret having buying this over the Nikkor equivalent.

Thanks for any help.

Nikon D5000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow