Shutter Shock a myth

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock a myth
In reply to Keit ll, 11 months ago

Keit ll wrote:

If shutter shock exists & I think that there is evidence that it does then it doesn't just affect longer telephoto lenses - it affects all lenses at certain shuter speeds , it's just that the movement affects longer lenses in a more easily seen manner.

I prefer to use low ISO's & often shoot images using the affected shutter speeds & this is a very real deterrent to me getting one of these cameras. The option of using higher ISO's in order to get higher shutter speeds does not seem am acceptable long-term solution to me. In the UK there is not blazing sunshine most of the time which forces us to use ND filters & the like to tame potential over -exposure

The fact that it seems to cause problems with IS systems is a double blow as I personally like to use IS whenever possible. These issues suggest that Sony rushed these cameras to market without properly considering this issue , I just hope that there is a firmware solution to the problem but I fear that there may not be one ?

I have not seen a shred of evidence of shutter shock with the 7r. I've examined all the links including Digilloyd and it's all misinformation, far as I can see, shutter shock is present in my 2 M43 cameras. (E-PL1 and E-PM1.) Putting in the 1/8 sec. delay works. Sorry for introducing this here but to me it is relevant to my point.

But I believe that IS is a separate issue on those cameras. An early 2-dimensional in-camera IBIS system, I have seen it cause very similar vibrations all by itself, (and while the 1/8 sec. delay was ON, ensuring that this occurence was shutter-shock independent.)

Turning off IBIS enhanced the picture effect in the same way as invoking the 1/8 second delay. But I am satisfied that IS effect and shutter-shock are separate issues, on these Olympus cameras.

I cannot speak to a similar effect caused by in-lens IS systems like Sony's OSS.

If you can accept that the A7r may indeed not have shutter shock effect, then you may like to ask; what, if anything, did Sony perform in the A7r design that prevents SS?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow