Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay

Started Dec 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587
Like?
Re: Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay
In reply to thegreat26, 11 months ago

Dave (Zx5Lx) here. Wow Kent!  Can't believe after all these years you recall our conversation....I'm impressed!  You nailed the performance of these two lenses to a "T".  I agree, a good sample of the Tokina 150-500 is indeed a decent bargain.  It does have some shortcomings when used with a 12MP sensor or hight, depending how large you plan to print but so does the Tamron 200-500 f5.6 and their 300 f2.8 and unique 400 f4 lenses.

You are  also right about the later Tokina 80-400 f5.6 lens.  It may be very small and light compared to the 150-500 but unfortunately as you stated, it's performance at the long end leaves much to be desired.

How ironic we should be talking about these lenses now.  Just a week ago I came across a Tokina 15-500 f5.6 in Nikon mount and was tempted to grab it.  Then I thought twice since I would be using it on a higher resolution DSLR and my guess is it would fall short for my needs.  Still all in all, a good sample has potential for not a hugh sum of money.

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow