Nikon d800 Princeton

Started 7 months ago | Photos thread
ravinj
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon d800 Princeton
In reply to John1908, 6 months ago

Since I live a few miles from the campus, your post interested me. Not knowing your prior photographic experience, a few comments anyway:

1) Wide angle lenses are hard to master and it is difficult to pull off convincing shots with 24MM or even 28MM. I would suggest 50MM to start with. You will get much stronger pictures with 50MM or 85MM or 100MM. For the campus at Princeton, my two favorite focal lengths are 50MM and 90MM. 50MM gives a nice tight frame without losing any context.

2) Related to the point above: don't try to capture "everything" in one shot. That is not the point of using a wide-angle lens anyway. Capture one subject at a time.

3) I am assuming you have very steady hands and can handhold the D800 and get a sharp picture. If not, up the ISO or get a tripod.

Good luck.....

-- hide signature --

R.

ravinj's gear list:ravinj's gear list
Leica S2 Sony Alpha 7 Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow