Nikon DF, the ultimate in shallow posturing?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
englishfil
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon DF, the ultimate in shallow posturing?
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 11 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Why no manual focus aids? Why?

Nikon has explained this. It seems they wanted to keep the viewfinder uncluttered -presumably because market research has shown that users prefer this. As several posts have correctly noted it is not possible to make screen aids, such as microprism collars, that work well across the full range of maximum apertures. Nikon has provided, with many of its DSLRs, the >o< viewfinder focus aid that works quite well for manual focusing and is not tied to the centre of the focusing screen. IMHO if that symbology could somehow be combined with the active focus point, rather than stuck below, then it would be perfect. The Df is a modern DSLR with retro touches, many users will use it mostly in AF and to hamper that functionality by harking back to the FM2 viewfinder would not have been wise.

Dials don't mean crap,

No, they are way of setting values directly and easily assessing how those settings currently stand without reference to the viewfinder or an LCD window. Whether that appeals to you will be down to which cameras you owned previously and whether any of them needed that old fashioned media called film. Personally experience would dictate if I owned a Df I would favour white lettering on black dials, but actually I am now quite used to Nikon's modern interface.

AF system is mediocre to boot.

Not mediocre, just not the best they make; still a long way from mediocre. This is specification choice is down to, probably, size, weight, power and lastly product differentiation - Nikon make a high speed, high performance camera with this sensor and its called the D4s(?). If the Df is aimed mostly at the slower, more considered photographer then blistering AF performance is not a high priority.

Now if you want to catch more fish can I suggest you slow the boat down and use smaller, more attractive bait?

englishfil's gear list:englishfil's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow