Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Nikkk
New MemberPosts: 3Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 image overlapping / distorted!
In reply to PaulD1980, 7 months ago

PaulD1980 wrote:

Thanks for the comments

I did have VR turned on and i wasn't using MUP or mirror lockup.

I did however use a 5 second shutter delay. I thought this would eliminate any chance of camera shake?

I noticed that the distortion isn't blurred, like you would expect from camera shake / movement. It's looks like two images have been overlapped and are out of alignment?...to me anyway.

I'll give the mirror lock up a try with VR switched off and see what happens.

Thanks,

Paul

When you say 5 seconds delay I guess you used the self-timer (menu item c3) and that doesn't help to avoid mirror slap. Try he shutter-delay (item d4) instead and set it to it's maximum of 3 seconds (5s is not possible there and that's why I think you used self-timer). The key here is that the mirror first flips up and then the delay of 3 s is there before the shutter goes up.

But ... the main cause here for the duplicated pictures is the VR function. If this is activated but in "sleep-mode" then it takes some time to move the special VR lens-element from it's resting to it's active position. This can for example be seen in the viewfinder as a small shift in the picture when the release-button is half-pressed. If you don't wait there, i.e you press the button fully down in one step (or use self-timer) then the VR kicks-in in the middle of the exposure and is seen as a shift in the picture if the shutter is ~1/2 s.

Nikkk's gear list:Nikkk's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow