Top 10 Minolta legacy lenses!

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
havoc315
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331Gear list
Like?
Re: mixed feelings about inflating used prices
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, 6 months ago

heliguy wrote: Minolta made a lot of good glass both AF and MF. Was wondering what the ultimate top 10 list of Minolta lenses would be. I have the Minolta 50mm f1.4 that should surely make the list, it's my fave legacy lens. I'm not very familiar with the entire product family. What's your Minolta top 10?

Well one tends to be reticent about talking up lenses that you might buy some day. Would just as soon people continue to think that the Minolta AF 50/1.7 is a terrible lens...because look how bad it is at precisely f/1.7 all over, and still bad in the extreme corners wider than F/3.2. Considering that my copy (that someone gave me for nothing) took a short roll on the sidewalk yesterday. Wondering if it's worse for wear/bears replacement.

So remember, dear reader, that the Minolta AF 50/1.7 has just terrible lens tests compared to the Sony FE 55/1.8, Zeiss Otus 55, Sigma 50/1.4, Sony/Zeiss ZA 50/1.4, etc. Surely to your photographic skills, that lens brings no justice.

I was shooting with the 50-1.7 last night. Rarely use it, but giving it a second look with the a99.

It is capable of good shots and a great value for $60-$80. But it is not a particularly good lens. Need to stop it down just to get acceptable sharpness. Bad contrast. For a prime, it has a lot distortion.

Yes, when used properly, with good post processing, it can deliver. But I would never use it as a model of Minolta lenses.

havoc315's gear list:havoc315's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow