Does sensor size matter when we even up DOF?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,313Gear list
Like?
Does sensor size matter when we even up DOF?
9 months ago

I have looked DXO up and down, i have checked DPR's sample comparisons. The problem is, i don't have a isht load of cameras sitting on a shelf that i can compare using controlled settings and environments. I know a lot of people prefer thin DOF, and for some things i agree it makes a photo better. I however am not a thin DOF junkie, and there are often times when smaller sensor formats are pushing the limit for my taste, so i can only imagine what going bigger would do. Another stop, two more stops, most of the time i don't want that..... But i do like good IQ, hence my dilemma.

If anybody can post, link, explain, however you can relay the information here, feel free to lay it out. If we are comparing equivelent DOF, meaning MFT at F1.4 vs FF at F2.8, and with equal SS, how will it turn out? Of course if you must stop down aperture by 2, we must increase ISO by two, and therein lies the comparison. Does the FF sensor, even with the 2 stops higher ISO, produce better cleaner files? I'm talking noise, DR, color, resolving power. Yes lenses are a factor, but lets try to compare similar lenses, or at least ignore any results caused by the glass.

Anybody have an opinion, any evidence, any predictions? This really is an issue for me and others because super thin DOF is not always wanted. In fact, when i last shot APSC, F2 was usually the widest i wanted to go for anything dominating my framing, like a portrait, otherwise i didn't have enough in focus for my taste. As usual, feel free to let the poo fly, im wearing my raincoat.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow