Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jvt321
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Zoom vs mm
11 months ago

Okay, this question relates to optical X zoom in relation to mm lens. I know they don't really correspond, but here goes.
I have been using the Canon sx130 is which has a 12x zoom. The sensor is 1/2.3" .
Of course with that size sensor the quality of pictures at full zoom is not quite what I want, but it gets up close.
I do a lot of outdoor stuff and there are objects, (buildings, birds, etc.) I can't get close to.

So, I decided to upgrade. I purchased the Nikon D3200. Body only. I'll get lense later. It has the APS-C sensor.
As I understand, the Canon sx130 is starting at 28mm before zoom.
So, am I right that I would need appox. 10 times the 28mm starting point to get about what would be about a 10x zoom? So, something like 300mm would get me as close (336 would be exactly 12 x 28mm)?
Or since the sensor size is bigger, can I get away with a smaller zoom to get as close, like 200mm?
Thanks. Jim

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow