Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
retro76
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?
Has processing ruined photography ?
10 months ago

Don't get me wrong, I process raw files, but the tweaks I use I tend to use sparingly and sometimes I simply just use JPEG. I am one of those people who strives to get things right straight from the camera as I believe that's what makes a great photographer.

I have been on dpreview since it first started (under different aliases over the years due to changing emails accounts etc) and I have noticed a trend: the pictures posted on this forum don't seem as good as those from the early days of digital.

It seems people tend to over cook their raw files, attempt to "Instagram" an image too much, soften skin to the point of creating a hideous glowing blur, and ruin a beautiful picture using HDR. It's not just general uses, I see the sane thing being done by "pros".

I look around on the web and all I see is heavily over processed, digital looking images - but where are all the photographers ? The people who strive to get things right in camera ? It seems people use PP as a crutch to try to turn a bad image into art. It's not a bad thing mind you, I just don't have an appreciation for it in the same manor as someone who didn't need a dozen tools to recreate a moment in time.

Don't get me wrong I love cross processing an image once in a while or using certain filters, but this trend is getting a bit over used and I hope it fades a bit over time.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
No.New
NoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NoNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow