Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EmotoPhotos
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?
My reasons for choosing (and sticking with!) the D300
8 months ago

As a VERY long time watcher but non-commenter on DPReview I just wanted to share my personal reasons (and some examples) of why I will stick with the D300 and replace with a D300S should it fail... <50k actuations. I had digicams since the AGFA1080 around 2000 but in 09-2011 bought a D300 with <800 acts for £600/$1000 boxed and as new. I fell in love with the build quality, grip (I have large hands) and its feel in use (AF-On etc.) I since bought a Tamron 18-270, 11-16, 35mm Nikkor, 8mm Samyang fish eye. The reasons for keeping it are that I spend large amounts of time travelling - 3months in Asia -2011, 5 months India/Nepal - 2-12 and 16+ months Now in Asia until Mid 2015. I MUST have a camera I can trust to take drops (2m fall onto concrete in Malta 2012!) and dust (Varanasi in 2012 - 48 degrees!) it literally never fails - I cannot risk travelling for days to find the zoom jammed or some such issue. The grip recently in Angkor meant I got 952 photos (while using the OPTEKA gps unit for 5 hrs 35 mins) from battery 1 - quite a feat and again key for me.... as I took another 467 later that day with battery 2 showing 48% left. I do mainly architecture, street and landscapes but try 'some' basic nature - butterflies etc. I also use a Micnova chest harness to let me climb with 2 hands free! I use Topaz, Nik and LR-CS6... fairly heavily. I shoot jpeg always. I look at my pics and love what I see, I have been fortunate enough to do well in some International comps too. I print my favourites and have them on my walls. I suppose I see the requests for the D400 and other 'improvements' but when I win competitions with a D300, 12.2mp pic at ISO 2000 it makes me wonder. In the end for ME, anyhow, it is about reliability and the D300 delivers every time. Enjoy a few of my favourite D300 pics... I hope to post again - cheers Paul

Hintai,Koh Samui

Thailand

Straight Copenhagen shot

Very High ISO

Ang Thong national park - Thai islands

Victory Gate - sunset - Angkor, Cambodia

EmotoPhotos's gear list:EmotoPhotos's gear list
Nikon D300 Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +7 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D300S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow