Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Porter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,667Gear list
Like?
flash options for Olympus E-M1
7 months ago

I'm a working photographer who is new to Olympus and new to micro four thirds.

I have the Olympus OM-D E-M1 (lovely camera) and a couple pretty good lenses. I have the little flash that comes with the camera but would like now to start adding compatible larger flash units, both for use in the hot shoe (replacing the little flash) and for remote use (triggered using the Olympus wireless system). I'm not sure what my options are. I have done a little "research" on that subject but would be grateful for more experienced opinions. I'd also like to know if there is anything I should know about the Olympus system that's not obvious.

I see that Metz makes a $200 44 AF-1 flash for Sony. I have pretty good experience with Metz flashes in the past, at least I did when I was shooting Pentax. I had a little more trouble getting Metz units to work with Sony flashes. Would the Metz flash be compatible with a Sony flash if I had one or more of each? How does the Metz compare to the Olympus alternatives? Which would you recommend?

On Amazon, I've seen a user review (perhaps more than one, I can't remember) mentioning mechanical problems with the Olympus flashes. This can happen with anything, I suppose. I had a battery bay door break on a Metz flash, but my other Metz units have been pretty durable.

What other brands of flash would work with the E-M1? Let me make it clear that I'm not necessarily interested in knowing what is the single best flash for the E-M1. When I use flash I'm more likely to use two or more units, so I am as interested in the cost as I am in the guide number.

Thanks in advance.

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +7 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow