The future for Fuji cameras

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,269Gear list
Like?
Re: The future for Fuji cameras
In reply to Graham Hill, 6 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

I too rarely ever see any Fujifilm adverts. In Hong Kong, you can see an almost unlimited number of signs for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and even Olympus. Fujifilm? Almost nonexistent. It is a real shame that they do not try to get their name out there.

That's not true.  I walked by a bus stop the other day near Tin Hau MTR station and saw the glass canopy covered with a X-E2 ad.  X-E2 ad is also seen on prime time TV.  Have you watched any of those HK TV soaps during prime time?  I guess you didn't.

But even so, I'd have to say their marketing effort is not particular effective.  Instead of shooting their own localized ads, they simply take the Japanese TV ad and make it their own.  You watched the whole ad and probably still don't know what they are selling, other than showing you the cameras at the end.  The ad also used young actors, as if they're trying to sell the X to the younger generation.  For all we know, the X is more adopted by the older generation, often with people older than 40.

During my recent trip to Japan, I looked for Fujifilm ads and again, came up virtually empty. What was more depressing was going to Fujifilm's corporate headquarters. There I visited a large exhibt that they have built, showing the history of photography, the history of Fujifilm, ALL of their current cameras on display, as well as a nice photography art exhibit. In downtown Tokyo, a city of 35 million people, at 1pm I was the ONLY person in the whole place. I could NOT understand that. Go to a Sony and Nikon store and they are packed with people. Fujifilm's store was like a library.

I was in Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2012.  The locals were mostly using Sony NEX and m43 (Oly and Panny).  Few have APS-C DSLRs and for the locals using FF DSLRs are the grannies.  In case people don't know what is happening with Japanese economy, the older generations are often retired with loads of money.  They dine out everyday, travel everywhere and have the cash for FF DSLRs.  The younger generations are the ones that are struggling.  No more flashy cloths and they have to settle for anything but the very best.

Now, go back in time to the beginning of 2008.  I was in Tokyo and I saw a lot of younger locals using Fuji cameras.  But mostly they are small compacts, especially the ones with an internal zoom lens.  Now that small digicams are dead, Fuji has nothing to hold on to, except feverishly trying to catch up, and APS-C mirrorless is their target.  I can see why Fuji is doing all those cut throat sales, they need to build up a user base ASAP.  They're also making as many X ILCs as possible to cover all bases.  One can get a pretty cheap APS-C NEX-3 with similar price to a enthusiast compact.

The other method of luring user base is to give superb after sales support.  From reading all the reports here plus my own personal experience, Fuji is trying to give customers the best and most satisfying support to keep them in their camp.  I think they are succeeding, but with a high cost.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow