Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: The future for Fuji cameras
In reply to Graham Hill, 10 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

dark13star wrote:

Sony and Fuji are both being disruptive and building businesses by loss-leading. It's standard business practice and out of the two of them, I prefer Fuji's approach.

Rich

Where do you see disruption? I struggle to see what you are seeing here. Was the Sony RX1 disruptive? I'm not so sure. Is the A7? Again, hard to say, perhaps too early.

Fujifilm has nice products, but I dont see them as disruptive. Apple's iPhone was disruptive. That blew apart a huge part of their competition, never to recover. Fujifilm cant point to any disruptive success like that.

Further Canon and Nikon entered the mirrorless market and became *immediate* market leaders.

Not much disruption affecting them.

Graham,

I won't compare them with Apple. I won't compare anyone with Apple (BTW, I've stopped using Apple examples with my staff, since they are impossible to follow). I will say that choosing to build a line of high quality lenses for a mirrorless camera system IS disruptive. Who else has addressed the old-school philosophy that "it is all about the glass" on a mirrorless platform? When I was shooting with the Nex-7, there was one stellar lens, the Zeiss 24mm. Who has dared to put the aperture ring back on the lens, the shutter speed dial back on the body?

Ok, not iPhone level of disruptive, but it got my attention as well as that of many others here. Now, whether the addressable demand is there to support the disruption, that is another question, but I do see Fuji as disruptive in the camera market.

Nikon and Canon are market leaders, so even their half-hearted offerings are bound to do well. I've been shooting Nikon since I learned to shoot in 1976 and I'm shooting Fuji now, not Nikon 1.

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow