Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,849Gear list
Like?
If You Really Think Full Frame is Soooo Superior
4 months ago

you may want to rethink this. A week ago I got the bug to consider having a 2nd body and some lenses to supplement my already competent OMD-EM1, 12-40 f2.8, 45mm f1.8 and 70-300 Zuiko lenses. I chose the Canon 6D to try out with it's 24-105L lens. I just today got a 70-300L IS lens (what a beauty) to work with as well. So I went out all afternoon and shot matched focal lengths and apertures handheld to see if there were obvious differences between them. I fully expected to see a vast chasm of difference in noise, depth of field and resolution to say the least. Wellllll that plan didn't work as I expected. I chose these 2 crops for your examination as it does show some detail as well as color rendition, which ironically after processing from RAW in Lightroom 5.3 looked pretty darned identical. Yes there is some depth of field differences in "some" of the shots I took. If I wanted to blur background specifically the 6D would be the best tool more often than not but as we all know with the right lens and subject manipulation a similar result CAN be had on the EM1. So anyway here goes. Now I'm very conflicted as to whether I wish to keep this $3000 investment for a difference that is pretty hard overall to discern. In the Canon's credit in Jpeg it can take shots in near darkness and still look printable where as the EM1 would struggle and sputter in many cases. But I am not shooting that kind of manner, so my dilemma stands. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome. I may upload another test shot crop as well soon. These are of course both 100% crops of the part of the frame I focused on and found great detail worth comparing. Both as I mentioned were shot in RAW mode and processing in Lightroom 5.3

First the Canon 6D with the 70-300L IS

And this one is the Olympus OMD-EM1 with the 70-300 Mk1 Zuiko Mft lens

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Canon EOS 6D Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow