Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pixelless
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
Sigma 50-150 OS vs 150 OS Macro
9 months ago

Hi all... I´m in the market for a longer lens and am looking for opinions on these 2. I fully understand that one is a macro and a prime, and the other covers a greater range and is made for crop sensors. What I am asking about is sharpness, contrast, bokeh and color rendition between these 2. How much sharper is the macro lens (specially closer to the center)? Can someone share some examples of bokeh with them?

It may sound weird to compare these two, but the truth is that I want both! A nice tele-zoom and a longer macro. I just can´t afford both at the same time, so I´m trying to make up my mind in which type of lens I should go first. I´m leaning more towards the macro, simply because its known as one of the best macros ever made (as if there were any bad macros nowadays!) and quite a versatile lens with OS and decent AF. Seems to me that it´s harder to go wrong with it...

Other lenses that I keep looking at:

- Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 AFD ("cheap" pro lens, but hard to find replacement AF motors and no VR);

- Nikkor 180 f2.8 AFD (same as above)

- Nikkor 300 f4 (i really like this lens, but I guess I should go for a shorter lens first)

- Tamron macro 90 VC (seems really nice, but I guess I would rather go for the longer macro)

- Tamron 70-200 VC (seems nice as well, but is priced close to a second hand 70-200VRII or a new 70-200 F4)

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all!!!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow