ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
juliancd38
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
D610 long-exposure noise
8 months ago

Hi all,
I've been shooting with a D5000 for several years now, and consider myself relatively competent in terms of photography. I recently upgraded to the D610 and brought it on vacation with me—the dynamic range, resolution, and high-ISO clarity are obviously not even in competition with my old D5000.
However, I often do super long-exposure nightscapes, and my first few such images with the D610 seem extremely noisy. Here's an example:

A couple closer looks:

D610 + Nikkor 28 mm f/1.8 at f/8 and ISO 250 for 170 seconds. Shot RAW+jpeg, no editing done whatsoever. I understand that after 30 seconds, noise will increase incrementally, and much of it can be removed digitally. However, I've never seen such widespread large purple, red, green, etc. plus-sign-shaped artifacts on exposures just a few minutes long.
I've done many 15-minute+ exposures with my D5000 that seem appreciably cleaner than my first few D610 exposures between 2 and 5 minutes long. I don't know what to think, other than that I'm somewhat disappointed. I suppose my questions can be summed up as follows:

1) Is this a normal amount of noise for the D610 sensor?

2) I know there are endless subtle differences in characteristics between full frame and crop sensor cameras. Is increased LE noise (as a trade-off for reduced high ISO noise) one of them?

3) What can be done to reduce this?

4) I love my Nikon lenses, but it may be feasible for me to switch brands if the Canon 6D is truly better at handling high-ISO/long-exposures, as I've been told. Should I consider this option?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I were just posting these online, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable printing these to any significant size.

Julian

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D5000 Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow