Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 2,753Gear list
Like?
Does the mirror limit FPS?
8 months ago

Nikon D4, Canon 1DX, 7D, K3, some of the faster burst cameras with the mirror flying around like crazy. Lets ignore the piston like vibrations of the would be 1 stroke engine for a minute and focus on the speed only. Most FF are inferior to smaller sensor offerings, and i have heard many say this is due to the increased heat of a larger sensor ect. It can't be because of the mirror right? Since the above FF are blazing fast, so what is the limiting factor?

While both sides ponder their format war inducing responses, i will offer another thought for future comparison. While some SLR offerings of today break the 10fps mark, can they hit 20? Or 50? How bout 100fps? I ask because it seems only a matter of time until sensors are able to do this with no downsides, without a mirror or shutter. Video recording is a perfect example. 30,60, 120, heck even 5000 frame per second video shows us what to expect someday, and that won't be with a mirror we can be sure of that.

This of course today has one caveat, rolling shutter. In time, when sensor scan speeds increase, rolling shutter could be just as much a distant memory as shutters and mirrors. I can't say i would have any practical use for a 5000fps burst other than just playing around, but some might. Pure electronic shutters with no mirror will let us do this, just as recording video would. Memory and write speeds will of course need to grow, but it is bound to happen. What say you? Will the mirror stick around in action shooting or will it's limitations facilitate it's downfall?

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow