The future for Fuji cameras

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,613Gear list
Like?
Re: The future for Fuji cameras
In reply to Asylum Photo, 8 months ago

Asylum Photo wrote:

It really depends on if they make money on the X-Series.

The fact that they lost money on imaging,

They made money on smartphone camera modules which partly offset the decline in compact sales. Losses were small and overall earnings company wide were up on the same period last year.

http://www.fujifilmholdings.com/en/pdf/investors/finance/materials/ff_fy_2014q2_001.pdf

but are really focusing on the X-Series tells me that Fuji thinks the X-Series is their best shot at profits. Whether that's true for the future or not, is to be seen. It's a tough market unless you are Nikon, Canon or Sony/Olympus now.

At the very least we will have some new products next year. And our existing products should still work for years to come.

-- hide signature --

Reuters article fails to mention the fact that smaller companies have minimal penetration in the US compared to the big three. Only reasons SLRs are still dominant are:

1. Price - entry level prices for DSLRs are still low compared to mirrorless. Fuji's low cost entry level is a bid to fight off that difference.

2. Brand - most people only know Nikon and Canon in the camera market, and they push SLRs so that's what people buy.

But Fuji has good traction with pros, and many people here have given up on SLRs for them. So I think there is a future, if they hold out. They can be profitable with low sales if they don't end up with huge inventories.

Contrary to FUD from some quarters around here, Fuji's financials don't look too bad overall. Losses in imaging are all in the compact camera segment. Certainly looking better the Olympus and Panasonic.

I guess we will never know their long term plan for the X series in terms of sales and revenues, but they started from zero only 2 years ago.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow