ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
prf
prf
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Do I already have a wide angle lens?
7 months ago

Hi, I hope someone can give me some guidance.

I like photographing tall objects, specifically the trunks of trees.

I had an idea that a wide angle lens would allow me to capture more of the trunk than is possible with my current lens (Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14 - 42 mm mounted on an Olympus PEN Lite EPL-3 camera).

So I went to a camera shop and enquired. The salesperson showed me a lens that I think was fixed 8 mm. He said it was the standard and best Olympus lens for my camera and had very good optics, allowing it to capture very wide angle scenes with very clear images. The lens was relatively expensive (twice the price of the camera + standard lens).

At the next shop I went to, the salesperson asked what lens I had presently. When I said I had a 14 - 42 mm, he said words to the effect of "14 mm is very wide angle already, why would you bother to buy anything else when you already have a significantly wide angle lens?"

So I am confused. Do I have a significantly wide angle lens and should I be satisfied with that? Or would there be substantial benefits in buying the relatively expensive 8 mm lens for this camera?

Thank you

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow