Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raven15
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?
Lens Facts: The Olympus Digital Zuiko 50mm f/2 macro
7 months ago

If anyone in m4/3-land is looking for an "autofocus"-capable lens with the below characteristics, you might consider this eye-watering sharp classic. In the spirit of the era when this lens was king, here are some 50mm f/2 facts:

1. A good lens renders like a talented artist with a fine paint brush. The 50mm f/2 renders like a prodigal surgeon with a fresh scalpel. Ouch.

2. The 50mm f/2 has autofocus so slow, it actually travels back in time, and was responsible for most sharp photos of famous musicians in the 60’s.

3. After an especially slow focusing incident, dualistic religions were founded 7,000 years ago based on observations of the 50mm f/2’s micro-contrast.

4. The Olympus classic 4/3's 50mm f/2 has very similar image quality to the Olympus micro 4/3's 45mm f/1.8.

If the front of the 45mm f/1.8 is smeared with Vaseline.

5. A photo of a distant lamb in mist with the 50mm f/2 is sharper than a close-up of a knife with any other lens.

6. The 50mm f/2’s autofocus was the third participant in the race between the tortoise and the hare. The forgotten part of the parable is that the slow yet unsteady autofocus only went a short distance before giving up and taking a nap for the rest of the race.

7. According to universal laws of physics, a 4/3’s lens is soft at f/8. Unfortunately for the universe, the 50mm f/2 never took physics.

8. 9 out of 10 optometrists don’t recommend looking through the viewfinder when a 50mm f/2 is mounted on the camera. If everyone did it, they would be out of business.

9. Descriptions of the 50mm f/2.0’s contrast are the closest the Japanese language can get to the words “yes” and “no.”

10. I was going to think of a final amazing fact, but then I decided to go to bed.

I sold my classic 4/3's Olympus Digital Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 macro lens a few years ago because the the slow and erratic focus drove me crazy. Looking back through old photos, I feel some pangs of regret.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow