Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,422
Like?
Re: Tokina ATX 150-500mm/5.6 on e-Bay
In reply to Rod McD, 4 months ago

I had one once, in Pentax mount. Not a bad lens infact as I sold a shot of an egret flying away from me to a MD nature center and they use it on one of their brochures. That was in the late 80's or early 90's. David (ZX5Lx) and I compared notes on that lens compared to the Tamron AD-2 200-500/5.6 and we both agreed that the Tamron was slightly better at the long end but neither gave that much away to the other over the rest of the range. Photodo did not give the lens a very good MTF score, only 2.0, which is near the bottom of long zooms but we thought the score was a little unfair. When stopped down to F8 or F11 it was decent enough. Howevert I replaced that Tokina after about a year with my first example of the Tamron SP 200-500 after testing that one out. Both were somewhat of a pain except on an monopod because both had tripod collars that were way too far to the rear of the balance point with the Tamron being the worst of the 2 in that regard. That Tokina 150-500/5.6 is actually a sharper lens overall when compared to the later Tokina 80-400/5.6 AF lens, which suffers from significant reduced sharpness at the long end.

Kent Gittings

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow