Questions re Thunderbolt, graphics, etc.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Matt Shelton
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
Questions re Thunderbolt, graphics, etc.
10 months ago

My 2008 MacPro has been feeling sluggish of late, and after the power supply died this past weekend, I've been researching getting something new.  The new Mac Pro is a bit out of my price range after eveything is considered, and as I am a "prosumer" rather than a "pro", I don't need the precise color and color calibration that a new, external monitor can offer. Plus, I need a new computer now rather than in February or March! (and, when I need more precise color calibration, I should be able to use my existing, older 20" matte ACD as a second display, shouldn't I?)

So, that leaves me with the latest iMac, which the more I look at it, is a very attractive machine! I plan on getting it fairly fully-loaded, wtih a 3.5 GHz i7 processor and a 1 TB SSD.  I've got about a 500 gb Aperture library that grows by about 50 gb a year, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it peforms on a SSD instead on convetional HD!

My questions are twofold:

Is it worth the $150 to upgrade the GPU from a "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB GDDR5" to a "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5"?   I am not and never will be a gamer, and I rarely watch movies on my Mac.  I don't understand, though, how Aperture uses a GPU and if the more expensive GPU would improve my Apeture experience.

Second question re Thunderbolt, which is a technology that I haven't used before:  I also have a 1 TB iTunes library, which currently resides on one of the four SATA hard drives in my current Mac Pro.   We stream music throughout our house via several Airport Express connections, whiich we control using the iOS Remote app, and we stream movies via an Apple TV.  This all works seamlessly and very well, with immediate access to the requested music and movie files whenever we request them.

I am also looking at several different Thunderbolt storage devices, which will primarily serve the purposes of housing the media library, an Apeture vault and a Time Machine backup.  Will I still be able to access my music/movie files as seamleassly before using the Remote app or the Apple TV, given that the media files will now be stored not in an internal SATA drive but in an external Thunderbolt drive?

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks.

Matt Shelton's gear list:Matt Shelton's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow