Significant difference in developement of A7R images in Sony Image Data Converter and Lightroom

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
paul1508
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
Significant difference in developement of A7R images in Sony Image Data Converter and Lightroom
8 months ago

I saw this report on sonyalpharumors: http://www.leica-boss.com/2013/11/lightroom-adobe-camera-raw-vs-sony-image-data-converter-for-a7-and-a7r-raw/

Since a friend of me owns a A7R he also wanted to test the difference.

He used his A7R + Zeiss Makro Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZE stopped down and ISO 100.

The left image is a directly into Lightroom imported .arw file
The right image is imported into Sony Image Data Converter, exported as .tiff with every kind of post processing turned off and then again opened in Lightroom.

In my opinion, a dramatic difference. In his words "That's almost the difference between the A7 and the A7R"

The problem is: Adobe Lightroom interprets the .ARW file different than the Sony software does. Why? Maybe because Sony didn't open up the algorithms to them because they don't want to expose the data compression they are using in the .ARW files. So Lightroom tries to interpret the .ARW by itself and hat we get is a crippled shot compared to the original.

I am pretty sure, Sony wants to give you best quality and pictures, but honestly, who is using the Sony Image Data Converter? I guess nobody who does not know the difference in output.

I am trying to understand why Sony sabotages itself by not simply using .DNG instead. You could easily use any Lightroom for it to process. There is no waiting time until the new Adobe Camera RAW can interpret it and there is no quality loss due to wrong interpretation.

What do you think of this? Do we also see a difference in NEX 7, NEX 6, ... files? I have to try.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow