How much sharpness would you sacrifice for blurred background ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
afragisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 500
Like?
How much sharpness would you sacrifice for blurred background ?
4 months ago

Below images are taken with Fuji XE-2 and canon 50 1.2L (no SB this time). I am showing JPGs converted in Lightroom 5.3 and the corresponding pics edited with Nik Software sharpener - which does a pretty darn job at sharpening the subject without affective the bokeh.

So the question is simple, I love blurred backgrounds but the 50 1.2L loses sharpness and contrast at 1.2 - as do all lenses. Is the edited image at 1.2 acceptable for you, given the increased background blur ? Or would you go with the edited or unedited 2.8 version ? I know, a totally subjective question so I'm just looking for subjective answers, I don't think there is any right or wrong. I think you have to view full screen to better tell the differences. Thanks in advance for any comments.

By the way, why 2.8 ? Because at that setting the amount of blurred background is pretty close to what the 23 1.4 would provide - at a slightly different perception.

1.2 unedited

1.2 edited

2.8 unedited

2.7 edited

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollonas/
Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 50 1.2L, Fuji 27mm 2.8, 23mm 1.4

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow