Do compact cameras have any place if I'm serious about photography?

Started Dec 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Do compact cameras have any place if I'm serious about photography?
Dec 30, 2013

I've recently made the switch from the old point and shoot on auto mode cameras to my beautiful EM1 which I love, and I'm trying to decide whether to sell off the old compacts.

In the past, I had an SLR camera which I ended up selling because I never used it - because it was always easier and lighter to take a compact out with me. I don't want the same to happen with my EM1. But on the other hand, it's always handy to have a back up, isn't it?

I have a couple to choose from. Two panasonics. One is better quality and the other is smaller, lighter, tougher and waterproof. If I keep the better one, will I end up doing the same again and slipping that in my pocket when I go out, rather than sling my EM1 plus 12-40 lens over my shoulder? But is it silly to keep the other one when I know that the quality isn't great? (Even though it's very handy when on a boat or the beach or somewhere I really don't want to take expensive kit.)

Or should I show my commitment to my new camera by getting rid of both of these and saying goodbye to the old P&S ways for good?

Not the most earth-shatteringly important decision in the world, granted, but still feels like a threshold I'm having trouble crossing!

Liz

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow