Do compact cameras have any place if I'm serious about photography?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NewGirlLiz
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
Do compact cameras have any place if I'm serious about photography?
7 months ago

I've recently made the switch from the old point and shoot on auto mode cameras to my beautiful EM1 which I love, and I'm trying to decide whether to sell off the old compacts.

In the past, I had an SLR camera which I ended up selling because I never used it - because it was always easier and lighter to take a compact out with me. I don't want the same to happen with my EM1. But on the other hand, it's always handy to have a back up, isn't it?

I have a couple to choose from. Two panasonics. One is better quality and the other is smaller, lighter, tougher and waterproof. If I keep the better one, will I end up doing the same again and slipping that in my pocket when I go out, rather than sling my EM1 plus 12-40 lens over my shoulder? But is it silly to keep the other one when I know that the quality isn't great? (Even though it's very handy when on a boat or the beach or somewhere I really don't want to take expensive kit.)

Or should I show my commitment to my new camera by getting rid of both of these and saying goodbye to the old P&S ways for good?

Not the most earth-shatteringly important decision in the world, granted, but still feels like a threshold I'm having trouble crossing!

Liz

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow