Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,374Gear list
Like?
Illustration of shutter shock on E-M5
11 months ago

Some people say the E-M5 does not cause shutter shock. Below I am posting 100% crops of images taken at 1/100s with three different lenses: the Panasonic 14-42X (pancake zoom) at 42mm, the Olympus 45mm and the Olympus 12-40 at 40mm. Judge for yourself. All images have been processed in exactly the same way. All handheld. It does seem that the lightweight lenses may be helped a bit more by the anti-shock than the heavier 12-40. There may also be a bit of camera shake coming into play.

My own conclusion is that shutter shock on the E-M5 is not very serious but it is there anti-shock does help a bit. For my own piece of mind I am going to leave anti-shock enabled unless I need a faster reaction time.

Of course there will be people claiming that 3 handheld tries is not enough and at least a hundred or so are needed to be conclusive. Well... feel free to perform a hundred tests. For me it is clear enough although not a very serious issue it seems.

A completely unrelated conclusion I made is that I am definitely keeping the 45mm prime as it is noticeably sharper than the 12-40 at the long end. (I compared the 12-40 to the 20mm earlier and that difference was harder to spot.)

14-42X without anti-shock

14-42X with anti-shock

45mm without anti-shock

45mm with anti-shock

12-40 without anti-shock

12-40 with anti-shock

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow