ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ian Morison
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
Encouragement for possible DPX Merrill purchasers
Dec 30, 2013

Hi everybody,

the cost of the Merrill DP series have dropped now and I have finally acquired a Dp2m having had a DP2 for some time. (Along with Nikon D7000 and m4/3 systems.)

Having read almost everything about the camera I got the feeling that it had to be used  with a tripod and only ever at low ISOs.   I agree with the latter, but not the former.  I have made the strap as short as possible and push the camera away from my neck.  This works very well and I have been able to make sharp exposures as short as 1/8th second.

I shoot Raw plus JPEG so that I can easily examine the images to decide which to spend time (a lot) on processing the Raw files.   What has impressed me about the Raw files is the headroom that is present.   Where in a high contrast situation the JPEG has a white blown out sky the Raw can nearly always show the true sky colour by "underexposing" by ~1.5 stops and using the "fill light" to bring up the darker areas.

OK its very slow to write to SD card, but I have not found that a problem and have, for example, been able to take several exposures of an approaching train  - in no way a static object!

Some examples below show the highlight recovery and one 41.5 Mpixel panorama hand held along with a 100% segment.

I like using it too! It does have a grip added which I am sure helps.  Set in "A" mode, I use the dial to adjust the appropriate aperture and the left and right buttons to adjust for any exposure compensation.

So I would just say that I believe that it is rather more versatile and easy to use than some might indicate.

Highlight recovery

Highlight recovery

100% segment from hand held panorama (Llangollen in Wales)

The Dee in Spate: 41.5 Mpixel panorama with camera used in portrait mode

A steam train in shadow brought out in Raw mode.

I hope this might encourage some that now is not a bad time to buy!

Ian Morison

Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow