Started Dec 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joseph H
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
A7R Shutter Shake Analysis Review
Dec 30, 2013

Starting a few of weeks ago, I began a series of tests using the few adapted lenses I had on hand with my new A7R. A friend ran collaborative experiments using his equipment. I also corresponded with Lloyd Chambers, who ran his own extensive series of tests, using his equipment. We all have different parts on hand to test, but combining our results not only showed great agreement in regions of overlap, but has given me a pretty clear sense of the nature of the effects of this relatively shaky shutter on captures, and a decent handle on the nature of the several major variables which contribute to the net result in the image.

My findings are summarized in the article I wrote, which first appeared in an early form on SonyAlphaRumors.com and which is now updated and filled out, appearing on my own site (with the intended illustrations and captions), here:

http://www.josephholmes.com/news-sonya7rshuttershake.html

Basically, certain camera + lens configurations give results which are spoiled by the shutter shake. Some are barely affected by the shake, and some not at all. Early tests have indicated that nearly all of the shake can be prevented in situations where it is a problem, by attaching a 24-ounce deadweight to the camera's base, or by avoiding shutter speeds between about 1/30th and 1/125th, with 1/100th typically being the worst, which one might be able to do with an 8X ND filter. Obviously, it would be much better if Sony would respond to this trouble with a firmware update which offers us at least the option to introduce a delay between the two motions of the first (front) curtain of the shutter.

Electronic first curtain is what we really need, for this very special camera's potential to become fully realizable.

—Joseph Holmes

Joseph H's gear list:Joseph H's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow