Started Dec 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
S3ZAi
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Is my tokina 17mm rmc a total lemon?
Dec 30, 2013

I was always dissatisfied with this lens on my nex7, but I always thought and hoped that it might be the picky nex7 sensor not bringing out the best of this lens. But after seeing a few shots with this lens the last days on A7/r cameras, I decided to take it out of my closet and try it on my A7r, and discovered it really sucks. Or does it? How should I test this lens? I have made one shot today from my rear window, it is nothing special, but a nice test scene with trees running from left to right. It is shot at F8. Is this lens a lemon or am I doing something wrong? The good side is that it has no magenta cast towards the corners. Even though I like my cv15, the magenta cast is driving me nuts. It does have slight vignetting though, but that is much much easier to deal with.

I did a lot of color/contrast editing, because the photo looked quite washed out, that might be my doing though, I don't know and perhaps that worsened the look of the iq of the lens.

I so am going to buy the best non-rf ultra wide angle lens, no matter how expensive, even if I have to save money for years. I just hope sony/zeiss will come with an ultra wide prime for fe-e mount before that, that doesn't cost a gazillion. I am thinking about the zeiss 15mm distagon for any mount available, it costs a ton though.

Anyways, back to this Tokina 17mm, the lens never gets sharp, not even stopped down to f8 or f11. Might this be a problem with the adapter or something else or should I  just forget about it? I was planning to sell it back on ebay, but I really feel bad about suckering in someone else to buy such a bad lens, but then, someone also sold it to me. I wish all lens makers would join and create some sort of 'bad lens collecting organisation' that would pay a modest amount for lenses like this and take them out of roulation.

Anyway, here is the shot, downsampled it looks ok-ish, but there is a whole lot of smearing from the center toward the edges.

tokina 17mm 3.5 rmc, color/contrast edited

I wish someone would find a solution for using the cv15 on A7/r cameras. Sigh.

S3ZAi's gear list:S3ZAi's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow