RX10 'motor' noise recorded in video - what can I do?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,216
Like?
RX10 'motor' noise recorded in video - what can I do?
7 months ago

I've just picked up an RX10 and been putting it through its paces, and one major issue I seem to have come across is what I can only describe as the RX10's 'motor' noise being recorded in video.

When the RX10 is on, when you put your ear to it you can hear a faint whirring noise, and this it clearly picked up by the built-in mics. You can adjust the recording level to reduce the noise, but of course this reduces the entire signal so doesn't really leave you any better off.

This is a great shame really, because the mics themselves seem to do a pretty decent job - but this problem renders them useless.

Now I do have a Zoom H1 mic, so I decided to mount it on the RX10 instead and feed it into the mic input of the RX10. Unfortunately the Zoom H1 has the same problem - as it sits quite low over the camera its mics also pickup the faint whirring from the RX10's motor. I've tried adjusting the input/ouput levels of the Zoom H1, and the recording levels of the RX10 and just can't seem to find a combination that eliminates the sound and provides adequate recording levels.

Have other RX10 owners experienced the same problems or is there something wrong with my unit? Is the only solution to try a more directional mic? I would prefer stereo though as most of my video is casual family video - but I'm afraid if I try another stereo mic it will just pickup the whirring from the RX10 again.

I'd be grateful for any advice from other RX10 owners out there. The RX10 has been targeted at videographers, so I can't believe I can't get clean audio out of it.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow