5D Mark III vs 7D, 7D Mark II--should I keep the gift?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tom trinko
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?
5D Mark III vs 7D, 7D Mark II--should I keep the gift?
4 months ago

My insane wife, you know she's insane since she married me, bought me an 5D Mark III for Christmas.

I haven't gotten it yet however and I'm wondering if I should keep it--her money is my money so I don't want to waste it on a camera that's not worth the money.

I currently have a 7D which I use mostly with a Sigma 50-500 for nature shots. You can see my photos at http://www.pbase.com/trinko/nature_shots  I generally take birds in flight but I've done some good indoors work--Monterey Bay Aquarium has one of my jellyfish shots as a full page in their basic tourist book--where the 5D would be great--though even at 3200 ISO the 7D looks great after I use Photo Ninja.

As I see it the 5D will be better for indoor shots, cloudy day shots, and stills--flowers etc.

All my lenses are standard lenses, ie not APS-C but they are mostly lower end Canon or Sigma lenses not L glass. I suspect the edges of the image will be slightly worse on the 5D than they are on the 7D

The question in my mind is is it worth the $2800 to get the 5D or is the difference between the 5D and the 7D not significant enough? I mean $2800 is an insanely large amount of money after all.

Also apparently there is supposed to be a 7D Mark II being announced in 2014. Obviously no one knows for sure what that will be but I'd appreciate any insight from folks who are in tune with the rumor mill.
Anyway I'd appreciate any insights from folks who have used both the 7D and the 5D Mark III.
Thanks for any help and I wish you all a healthy, happy, Holy Christmas and New Year!

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow