Flat view
Thin_Ice
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?
Minimalist lense choice for travel
7 months ago

Hello,

What lense would you recommend for:

* ski traverse of a week through the Italian Dolomites (OMD with the prime attached)

* travel to Katmandu, short trekking in Nepal of the beaten track and a tiger safari in India

I have an OMD with the 12 and 45 mm primes and an E420 with the 14-42 and 40-150 kit zooms. I really like the 45 mm for mountain landscapes and the 12 mm for social pictures indoors and outdoors. I use the 12 mm as walk around most of the time. I hope to buy the upcoming oly 40-150 fast zoom for sport and wildlife, but this one won't be available before the Nepal/India trip. Most of the time i take no spare lense on a trip.

Would a 17 mm prime be an advantage over the 12 mm for adventure travel/mountain scenes? Before buying the 12 mm, i checked the flickr groups of th 12, 17 and 9-18. I concluded that the results of the 12 mm on flickr really stand out and went for the 12mm.

I would use the 12 mm in Kathmandu streets and the 45 mm in the dolomites on the ski 's and on trek in Nepal. For a panorama i would stitch when needed.

What can be expected of the current mFT 40-150 and 70-300? Is there much difference with the results of my FT equipment in daylight? Since i use my primes, i am underwhelmed by the image quality of my FT lenses...

I use to travel light. My current camera bag is a lowepro dashpoint 30. My ski backpack is a 30 liter mountaineering backpack stowed with gear,clothes and snacks for 5 days... For a second prime, i have to trade in 3 snickers :-(.

Thanks for your advise,

Steven

Thin_Ice's gear list:Thin_Ice's gear list
Olympus E-420 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-420 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
17New
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow