XP 1 Close focusing confusion using optical finder: What gives?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wulbert
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
XP 1 Close focusing confusion using optical finder: What gives?
11 months ago

When I try to focus my XP-1 on something close up (e.g. around 12 inches), it seems to be impossible to achieve focus if I use the optical finder.

For example , as a test, if I focus on a page of newsprint at, say 12inches, using the rear screen to compose,  all is well and focus is achieved. If I then cover the eye sensor with a finger (to simulate putting it to my eye), whilst keeping the same composition, the camera is now unable to focus and produces a very blurred image.

What gives? I appreciate that using the optical finder on a "rangefinder" camera for close- up is impractical, but why is it impossible?

NB: This "feature" or issue almost stopped me from buying this camera when I tested it in-store. I simply could not get a sharp photo with the camera held to my eye and a close up subject. Compared to my DSLR it seemed pathetic, however I guessed that my technique needed to be altered. I just don't understand why?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow