I just received in a new computer and the specs are the following:

Acer Predator AG3-605-UR20

32gb of ram

I7-4770 processor (not 4770k)

Nvidia GTX660 video card

upgraded drive to Samsung 840 EVO

all drivers on computer completely updated

Windows 8.1

I looked inside the Acer to see many premium components like a gold class power supply and a Coolermaster cooler sitting over the CPU.

My laptop is the following:

HP DV6

16gb of ram

I7-3610qm processor

Nvidia 550m video card

unknown SSD drive

all drivers on computer completely updated

Windows 8.1

Here are the times for one raw file shot from a Canon 5D Mark III at ISO 12800 full resolution:

Acer with OPENCL and GPU acceleration checked: 2 minutes 58 seconds

HP with OPENCL and GPU acceleration checked: 5 minutes 30 seconds

(both computers were then rebooted after unchecking the OPENCL and GPU)

Acer without OPENCL or GPU acceleration: 3 minutes 20 seconds

HP without OPENCL or GPU acceleration: 5 minutes 40 seconds

This test is in no way scientific as I only did it with one file and I might not have set something correctly. However, its clear to me that neither a mainstream laptop or a desktop will provide fast processing times. The desktop is faster, but not fast at 2-3 minutes per file. I am guessing if we got a top-end desktop PC from Alienware it would also be faster, but it would still probably be 1-2 minutes per file which still isnt fast. The only way to get blazing results would be to go with a Macpro or HP Z820, Dell Precision which uses dual-Xenon processors and I could still imagine it taking 30-60 seconds per file.

So if you have hundreds of files to process you should be thinking hours of time to process. If you have a computer which is a few years old and a slower processor then the ones up top, better just go out and get a new PC. I cant imagine using DXO on anything slower then the PCs I have.

As for the videocard, I do know in all of the tests Ive seen on the internet the Nvidia cards do not do as well as AMD cards in OPENCL tests. So Im curious as to how my system would test with a higher end AMD card. I sent an email to customer support at DXO and they replied back saying they couldnt comment.

If you are using DXO for professional work, do not wait until the last minute to get the post processing done unless you have a dual-Xenon system.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III DxO Optics Pro Elite DxO Optics Pro Standard
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow