Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Poagao
Regular MemberPosts: 483
Like?
A7R=5DmkII+EM5?
9 months ago

Right now I use a Canon 5D mkII and an Olympus EM5, the 5D when I desire full frame and the EM5 when I need portability. But my back went out the other day, and I've been looking at the A7r as a means to replace both of them. I realize that both the 5DmkII and the EM5 probably autofocus faster and more accurately than the A7r, but my experience with it in the stores doesn't make me feel like it lags all that far behind them in AF. Particularly with the Panasonic 20mm, which is maddenly unable to AF on the EM5, though other lenses are lightning quick on the EM5. The 5DmkII is also not known for its AF capabilities amongst DSLRs in general, but I get by with it. Too slow would be Sigma DP1-like slowness, which turned me off that camera despite its wonderful qualities, but my experience (in the shop, mind you) is that the A7r does a fair job of AF, better than the RX1, which was alright but just a tad too slow.

The EM5 eats batteries and takes a long time to startup and wake up, so I'd be resigned to that aspect of the A7r (which at least gives you 30 minutes before it goes to sleep, as opposed to the EM5's sparing few minutes), and the EVF of the A7r is substantially better than that of the EM5 in my view, though obviously not the same as an OVF. My plan would be to keep it on airplane mode and LCD off in any case. I use primes in any case, and would be fine with the 35FE for now, with the option of other lenses later.

So does this make any sense? Am I overlooking something? In my country there's no returning the camera once I buy it.

Canon EOS 5D Sigma DP1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow