ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thom locke
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
How wide is too wide?
Dec 29, 2013

Hi all,

Would really appreciate some advice on this as I'm tying myself up in knots reading forums/reviews.

I currently have a Nikon D3000 + Nikon 35/1.8 + Nikon 55-200.

I mainly enjoy photographing people (friends/family and street photography) and architecture (indoors/outdoors) with some landscape and wildlife when the opportunity arises.

I'm finding that I'm yearning for something wider than the 35 (52.5mm equivalent), especially for architecture and landscape. I'm moving to East Timor for 6 months and will then travel round Indonesia for a month so weight is a consideration, albeit a minor one.

Here are some options I'm considering:

1. Go really wide (e.g. tokina 12-24, sigma 10-20).

2. Buy a cheap 18-55 nikon kits lens.

3. Sell the 55-200 and buy a long zoom (e.g. Nikon 16-85 or 18-200).

What I'd really appreciate is advice re. how wide is too wide? I understand landscape doesn't equal wide. Furthermore, it seems like the ultra wide lens are designed for quite a specific effect i.e. foreground item with lots of depth. Although this seems fun I want a multipurpose wide lens and don't want to come back with lots of photos with an empty foreground and distant background! Would the Tokina 12-24 give me the opportunity to experiment with this effect but with the zoom also offer a 'simpler' wide lens (i.e. at ~ 20+)? Or if I'm not sure about going really wide, will a 18-55 be a reasonable alternative, in terms of price and width? The 16-85 appeals as it offers some width and zoom and 2 lenses would be a lighter option.

Many thanks for your help,

TL

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow