A7r Fisheye Shootout - And the winner is....

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,087Gear list
Like?
A7r Fisheye Shootout - And the winner is....
9 months ago

Nikon 16mm f2.8 fisheye versus Sony 16mm f2.8 fisheye, shot on tripod with 2 sec timer trigger, 100 ISO, both focused on the Nikon sign near the middle:

Nikon @f8

Sony @f8

Sony @f11

The tripod was stationary, but the Sony lens tripod mount was on the LA-E4, so the lens was slightly up and forward of the Nikon, where the camera tripod mount was used.

As you can see, the left edge and UL corner are much sharper with the Nikon.  Even at f11, the Sony does not catch up.  The Nikon's center is also slightly sharper, even though it's image is slightly smaller.

The Sony fisheye is 20mm taller, a little thicker, and almost 50% heavier than the Nikon, with adapters.  (The Nikon was on a Novoflex adapter.)  You could really feel the weight difference, but I didn't mind that.  However, the Sony lens on the LA-E4 was much bulkier than the Nikon on Novoflex, and this I did mind as room in my ThinkTank SubUrban Disguise is at a premium.

A further disadvantage of the Sony with LA-E4 is that it blocked use of the on-camera quick release plate.  I had to take it off and put it on the LA-E4.  I could keep a plate on the LA-E4 (and probably will), but that makes it even heavier and bulkier.

I did enjoy the new autofocus provided by the LA-E4.  It's snappy and shows more focus points, really cool.

Guess I won't be getting a Sony fisheye after all.  Too bad, as I found a great deal on a new one on ebay....

For mouth-watering grins, here's a couple more shots taken with the Nikon/A7r:

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow