Started Dec 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RAYoung
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
****Mini Challenge #390: "New Things"****
Dec 28, 2013

Thanks to Avyman for selecting my Old Car image for 1 place in the last challenge. In thinking about a topic for the next mini-challenge, I first thought we could do something related to New Year’s. While that’s not a bad idea and it’s celebrated around the world, similar topics have already been done, so I thought it might be nice to find a new idea. It occurred to me that we could springboard off of Avyman’s “Old Things” challenge and do one about “New Things.” We often think about new things this time of year – a new year is beginning, we have new plans and many have received and given new gifts.

Similar to last week’s topic, we will limit the subject of your entries to man made things – not living creatures or plants. But if the new thing pictured also symbolizes something new, that can be a plus. The thing may be big or small, indoors or out, maybe a new structure, a new renovation of an old structure or a remodeled room. It may be that the thing pictured is no longer new, but as long as it was new when you took the photograph, that counts. I will include some samples in the next post.

This mini-challenge will close at 18:00 Eastern Standard Time (23:00 GMT), Saturday, January 4, 2014.

Posting Guidelines

When the host provides everyone with the current topic, you may enter up to 3 pictures total, preferably in a single post but not mandatory. Please give a title to each photo, this makes it easier to differentiate when giving comments.

Feel free to post photos for 'exhibition only' if you feel you are not able to host the next challenge, or simply do not wish to compete. In either case, add "Exhibition" or "Extra" or "Just for Fun" or "Off Contest" (or something similar) to your post. Also include these terms when posting any photos in addition to your original 3 entries.

Either embed your image in your post or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).

When posting a picture(s), change the Subject of your post to display your picture titles and/or your name. This way, when someone replies it will refer specifically to you. If all entries read "Re: *** Mini-Challenge xxx - ...***" it would be very boring to scan the list.

Please size your photos no bigger than around 1600 pixels on the longest dimension. This is to let those with smaller monitors see your image at full resolution. Please limit the file size of your entries to conserve bandwidth.

As a show of courtesy, and to save bandwidth, please remove the original post when replying, so you don't bring back any previous photos.

Feel free to comment on other contestant’s images. If you want people to give you constructive criticism, ask for C&C.

Regular Rules

Any picture you've taken is eligible regardless of camera or time taken. You can do all the post processing you want. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo (because we like to know).

The host chooses the winner and the decision is final. No matter what you say, the host is likely not going to change their mind after the fact. Remember, it's all about fun and learning.

The winner then hosts the next challenge, judges the winner, and passes on the baton to that person. The winner has 48 hours to post the new challenge. If that doesn't happen 2nd place has 24 hours to do so, and if that doesn't happen it's up to the 3rd place winner.

Some Previous Mini-Challenges

365 Dramatic Weather

366 Red

367 On The Street

368 Shadows and Silhouettes

369 A Photograph that best Represents a Song Title or Lyric Line

370 Selective Color

371 Capture My Interest

372 Sports

373 Modes of Land Transport

374 The Blue Hour

375 Your most unique sunset or sunrise shot

376 Shared moments

377 Summer

378 Fall colors

379 Water

380 Outdoor Food

381 A Different View

382 Hidden Beauty

383 Wind in action

384 Let's talk about Cars

385 Abstracts in Nature

386 Children

387 Christmas in the Air

388 All One Color

389 Old Things

Roger

RAYoung's gear list:RAYoung's gear list
Canon PowerShot S70 Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow