ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BJN
BJN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890Gear list
Like?
GM1 on a DJI Phantom quadrocopter - too heavy
Dec 28, 2013

Just a quick report in case anyone else is thinking about flying the Panasonic DMC-GM1 on the DJI Phantom quadrocopter...the camera is too heavy for this platform.

I needed to add some hardware to mount the larger camera, including standoffs to extend the landing gear. I mounted the camera with this: http://vectormount.com/dji-quadrotor-camera-mounting-kit-5-piece-238.html and had to point the camera backwards to get the center of gravity balanced enough for takeoff. While I could get the Phantom and camera off the ground, the high level of thrust needed to just hover had the quad shaking badly and struggling to maintain position. I have a few extra grams of weight on my Phantom from a vibration isolation mount, but I don't see any way to shave enough weight to make the GM1 a comfortable payload for the Phantom.

I'll need to assess whether or not I find the GM1 useful enough to keep it. A larger, more powerful quad would certainly work with the camera but I can't rationalize that kind of investment at this point.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow